What is a Reaction Paper?
A reaction paper is a form of essay in which you reveal your thoughts about a play, book, article, or any other literary work. This kind of academic writing has many parallels with a reaction paper because it contains your reaction to the reviewed work. While giving a written response to something, feel free to include your personal perspective and overall understanding of the subject matter. To make your statements and arguments sound reasonable, support them with sufficient evidence and examples. A reaction paper should be written in a concise and clear language, so it can be easily understood by the reader. This kind of assignment is evaluated based on the writer’s competence in writing and only then on the original content. Similar to most academic essays, a reaction paper consists of introduction, body, and conclusion, which should not exceed 2-3 pages.
It is understandable that most writers are scared of writing this kind of essay. Thus, it is highly recommended to use some guidelines throughout the writing process. And here is the right place to get some of them.
How to Start a Response Paper?
When you start the creative process, you may wonder how to write a reaction paper accurately. The main thing you should think about is your feeling about the intentions of the analyzed work. You should also understand and distinguish the major intentions of the author and their feelings about it. To start your paper properly, you need to represent a topic first by providing the primary information. By explaining every detail of the analyzed book, movie, article, or speech, you introduce the topic for further discussions. To attract your audience’s attention, you need to highlight the significance of your opinion and its practical importance. That’s where you should mention the main objectives of an analyzed work. Don’t forget to include a thesis statement into the introduction to specify the main focus of your reaction paper.
Reaction Paper Outline & Format
When you work with a reaction paper on a book, movie, article or speech, you need to highlight every point of it. You need to identify the main topic and distinguish its major subjects and objects. Once you have watched or read the particular work, you need to provide your reaction to the main story and express your own opinions on it. At the same time, you have to stick to your professor’s instructions and requirements. Depending on the initial assignment, you might be asked to write a reaction paper about the whole work or its particular section.
A response paper format should be based on personal opinions about a particular topic in the book or movie. You should use your personal experience and knowledge to express those opinions on paper. In some cases, you can be also asked to create a paper about the author’s opinions, so you will have to react to the author’s thoughts expressed in the work. When you need to analyze your reaction to the author’s thoughts, you are not expected to address the topic.
When it comes to the actual writing process, you should be as specific as possible. Thus, it is important to develop an outline and use it as your working plan. It will help you structure your future paper by including all the significant sections in your paper. So, what should a response paper include? In general, a reaction paper consists of the introduction, body, conclusion, and citation list. Here are some more details to know:
- Introduction: This is a crucial part of a reaction paper that turns out to be the face of the writing piece of work. To make it effective, you should fill it out with numerous hook sentences. Generally, it should include a clear thesis statement and a small description of the main ideas.
- Body: This part contains the main ideas, arguments, and evidence. You should start every paragraph with a clear topic sentence reflecting the main idea. Don’t forget to use only relevant and up-to-date sources to make your paper look credible.
- Conclusions: This part aims to connect a thesis statement and summary of main ideas. You need to wrap up your major points and clarify your opinions in the summary.
- Citation list: This part should contain relevant and up-to-date sources to be used throughout the paper. Thus, you should use only credible sources to persuade your target reader.
Response Papers Examples
If you want to improve your writing competence, you can look through various examples on the Internet. You can check multiple reaction papers on movies and books to come up with the individual writing technique. By encountering high-quality samples, you will take your knowledge and writing skills to the totally new level.
20 Reaction Paper Topics
If you want to submit a response paper, reaction paper, or a mix of two, you should definitely think of creative topics. Here are some examples that you can use for yourself:
- Square Enix’ Kingdom Hearts as a child-centered online content.
- Assumptions of children’s literature as seen in Tumble Tower.
- Your analysis of a Harvard study that reported that watching 4th of July parades makes people support Republican.
- Resisting interpellation of Beauty and the Beast.
- Your response to Chris Adrian’s article Under My Skin from the New York Times.
- The backside of the fashion industry in the movie The Devil Wears Prada.
- Reader response to Let’s Stop Scaring Ourselves by Michael Crichton.
- Response to Sticks by George Saunders.
- Reaction paper on Maslow’s Theory.
- Reading response to why we crave horror movies by Stephan King.
- Reaction paper for City Ordinance City Dog Pound and Appropriating Funds.
- Reaction paper on Food, Inc. – a Robert Kenner movie.
- Reaction to Hitchcock’s Birds movie.
- Fighting for love in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet
- The cultural and historical context of Boccaccio’s Decameron.
- Pick a book which you did not like and describe why you did not.
- Is Julius Caesar’ death in Shakespeare’s play worth it?
- Ernest Hemingway. How did the author’s life influence his works?
- Your reaction to the tragedy of Shakespeare’s Macbeth.
- Choose your favorite novel and describe it and your impressions in detail.
Useful Tips for Response Paper
Writing a reaction paper can be a complex task that requires much time and effort. Therefore, you may use some high-quality samples to learn more about this type of academic writing. Here are some tips that can help you in creating a decent response paper:
- Keep the knowledge of the addressed work on which you are writing your response or reaction paper. While reading a book or watching a movie, make a note of the areas that encourage you towards writing. Specify the main ideas that you want to discuss.
- Show your point of view and support it with additional information where you feel it’s necessary. Support the analyzed piece of work with sufficient examples.
- Conduct thorough research and find resources that can prove your arguments and statements.
- Submit a draft in order to minimize the most common errors. Of course, it will take extra time to write a draft and then transform it into a well-structured essay. In your draft, you should not express the same thoughts again. The reader won’t be interested in reading the whole story again and again. Instead, they expect you to thoroughly analyze the information you receive and read. If you don’t know how to do it, you can always use some online samples or templates.
These are some simple and useful tricks that can help you master the response paper writing process. You should also know the most common mistakes that reduce the quality of your response paper. First, you should not place the summary of the analyzed work in the very beginning. The reader will lose interest in your paper immediately. And you will lose a chance of expanding the depth of the book or movie. First, you should develop and express your own opinions, not the overview or basic layout. Second, you should not make a statement without providing any supporting information. Producing examples that are hardly related to the topic also won’t do any good for your paper. With all the above-mentioned information in mind, you will be able to create an excellent piece of work!
Write an Excellent Reaction Paper with HandmadeWriting
If you want to get high-quality response papers online, you can rely on the professional team of writers who will help you deal with the task. When you are looking for a professional writing service, it means that you want to get rid of your academic burden and have some time for yourself. With the help of HandmadeWriting, you can get an excellent-quality response paper example at an affordable price.
The writers of this service have already created multiple academic papers on various topics and of different kinds. They have also developed a huge clientele since they have proved to be reliable and hard-working in their attitude to work.
When you start cooperation with HandmadeWriting, be sure that you will get papers of impeccable quality. Moreover, they provide response papers samples so that you could know how well this company’s writers can handle the academic writing task. It’s no wonder that HandmadeWriting is rated as one of the leading writing services on the Internet.